Public, private and home school groups of 15 or more are invited to attend an educational sneak peek at the making of this classic ballet. Backstage at The Nutcracker lasts approximately one hour. There is reserved parking for buses.
Tuesday, December 3, 2019
One Show Only: 10:00am
20 Myrtle Street - Portland, ME 04101
Experience The Nutcracker Backstage at Merrill Auditorium
Maine State Ballet backstage performances allow schools and students to get a sneak preview of Maine State Ballet’s full length ballet productions at Merrill Auditorium. The program provides education on the silent “language” of classical ballet and takes you and your class on a magical tour of the creation of a ballet production behind the scenes, from costumes to choreography, sets to scenery. The show is suitable for students of all ages and most enjoyed by students in grades K-5.
Our performances will include:
• Excerpts from The Nutcracker including dancing dolls, giant mice, dancing snowflakes, and a magical Christmas tree that grows before your eyes!
• Demonstration and explanation of our beautiful costume and set design.
• Discussion of the “hidden secrets” that help create the magic you see from the audience, including answers to these questions: How does the Christmas tree grow? How do they make it snow on stage?
Enhancing Students’ Arts Education as Outlined in Maine’s Visual and Performing Arts Standards
With The Nutcracker Backstage experience, students will:
• Recognize purposes for art including telling a story and communicating emotion.
• Observe, listen to, describe, and ask questions about dance as an art form.
• Identify the activities and careers of a performing artist.
• Identify various roles of, and requirements to become artists.
Payment Policy: Please make checks out to Maine State Ballet. To hold your reservation, payment must be received in full by Tuesday, November 19th, two weeks before the performance.
Checks can be sent to 348 U.S. Route One, Falmouth, ME 04105.
Inclement Weather: Maine State Ballet does not cancel performances due to inclement weather. If your school is cancelled due to weather, please contact Maine State Ballet.
Handicap Accessibility: Merrill Auditorium is handicapped accessible. Please be sure to specify any special needs your group may have.
One Show Only!
Reserve your seats now! $7.00 per seat* for Tuesday, December 3rd at 10:00am at Merrill Auditorium.
Group sales only, must be a minimum of 15 tickets to order.
To reserve seats for you and your students:
*For every 10 seats you purchase, you receive one seat free.
Approximate length: 1 hour
For more information call 207-781-7672 or contact Fred Bernier at firstname.lastname@example.org.